Motley Crue and Netflix are being sued by a crew member over severe electrical burns he sustained last year on the set of the band's newly released biopic, The Dirt. Louis DiVincenti, a rigging grip, claims that a power line shock left him with second- and third-degree burns over 50 percent of his body. DiVincenti is seeking damages, including $1.8 million in medical bills.
The incident occurred in March 2018 on a set resembling the legendary Whisky-A-Go-Go rock club. DiVincenti says that one of the metal pipes he was handling made contact with a power line, sending electric current through his body. Although initially given a two percent chance of survival by doctors, DiVincenti pulled through after numerous surgeries, skin grafts and the amputation of his right foot.
Filming wasn't interrupted, because the cast was off shooting somewhere else while DiVincenti was tearing down a set that was no longer needed. A rep for the film told the Hollywood Reporter, “Even though all of our safety protocols were in place, an accident did occur and a crew member was injured by electricity.”
The Dirt, an adaptation of the glam rock band's memoir of the same name, premiered on Netflix last Friday (March 22nd) after 15 years in development at three different studios. The streaming service launched the film to mostly negative critical reviews but a more positive response from fans. An accompanying soundtrack features four new songs from the band, who retired from touring in 2015.